Summer Research Scholarships
Spend your summer immersed in STEM, working alongside our world-class scientists.
The program is open to current undergraduate students, particularly those in the later years of their Bachelor’s degree who are interested in pursuing research studies in the near future.
The scholarships are designed to foster an interest in research by eligible students who might not have yet considered a career requiring an Honours Degree or Higher Degree by Research.
Summer Research Scholarships (SRS) are available in all schools and across all fields which means you can explore new research areas and uncover new career pathways.
- Experience working closely with some of our leading researchers on a ‘real’ research project
- Build strong rapport with potential Honours and PhD supervisors
- Spark your interest in research and potential career pathways requiring an Honours Degree or Higher Degree by Research
- Receive a living allowance while you’re doing it
- Obtain valuable work experience that you can include on your CV.
Projects and applications
There are several types of summer research scholarships.
Duration and funding
- At least six weeks during the summer vacation
- Each scholarship provides a living allowance of $200 per week, up to $1200.
There are a diverse range of projects being offered for the summer vacation period.
To find a researcher, you may consider:
- View our list of researchers who are interested in supervising students for Summer Research Scholarships. Students are encouraged to contact our researchers to discuss their projects and potential supervision.
- You can search our Researcher Profiles by your interested discipline or research area and investigate the exciting projects our researchers are undertaking across the University. You will need to contact a researcher via email to discuss their projects and potential supervision for a Summer Research Scholarship.
- If you are already aware of a project or researcher, consider asking whether they are interested in supervising you for a Summer Research Scholarship.
- Monday 1 August 2022 - Applications open.
- Friday 30 September 2022 - Deadline to apply. (Note: Deadline has been extended)
- Mid-late November - Outcome of application advised.
- Late November / start December - Summer scholarships start.
How to apply
- Refer to the Scholarship rules to ensure you are eligible
- Search for a Summer Research Scholarship opportunity and find a supervisor
- Go to the online application when applications open and download the Research Project and Supervisor form
- Approach your preferred supervisor and agree on a project and possible start date
- Finalise all required information on the Research Project and Supervisor form and obtain the supervisor's signature.
- Complete and submit your online application (attaching the Research Project and Supervisor form) before 5pm, Friday 30 September. (Note: Deadline has been extended)
- Keep a copy of your completed application for your own records.
Preference is given to students who have completed two years of study. Outstanding first year students, or students who have just completed their bachelor’s degree, may be considered. Non-University of Adelaide students are also welcome to apply.
Frequently asked questions
When do the research scholarships start and finish?
Scholarship positions run between late November and February.
The scholarship period can be split before and after the Christmas break if desired, but the exact dates will need to be negotiated directly with your supervisor.
How many scholarships are offered each year?
The number of scholarships varies each year due to the availability of supervisors and a suitable research project within each school.
Can international students apply for these scholarships?
Yes, scholarships are available to both domestic and onshore international students.
Offshore international students are ineligible to apply.
Onshore international students will be required to show a current visa permitting study in Australia beyond February 2022 to be eligible to apply for these scholarships.
Can non-University of Adelaide students apply for these scholarships?
Yes, scholarships offered by the Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Technology are available to students who aren’t currently studying at the University of Adelaide as long as they are interested in pursuing an Honours or Higher Degree by Research (MPhil/PhD) with the University.
Non-UofA students must provide insurance from their home university.
Are my grades considered in the application process?
Due to the availability of suitable projects, scholarships may not be awarded strictly on the basis of academic merit.
Applicants should have completed at least two years (48 units) of study of their program, at a standard acceptable for admission to an Honours program. In exceptional circumstances, these scholarships may be awarded to students on completion of the first year of a program, but only after consideration of the applicants who have completed second year.
Please refer to the scholarship rules.
Can a research internship or scholarship be credited towards the ‘Practical Experience’ component required for the undergraduate engineering study programs?