We are internationally recognised experts in four research areas:
Our ground-breaking research focuses on addressing world challenges across all four disciplines. Our technological developments are at the forefront of energy security and de-carbonisation, new vaccines and therapies, advanced materials, quantum technologies, sustainable resource extraction, utilisation and recycling, and space mining.
Our world-class research activities are led by world-leading researchers, including two Australian Research Council Laureate Fellows, one National Health and Medical Research Council Leadership Fellow, and eight Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers.
Our school has achieved the highest ranking — “well above world standard”— in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Resources Engineering and Extractive Metallurgy, and Nanotechnology, by Excellence in Research for Australia.
Our inter-disciplinary approach to research leads to ground-breaking advancements in:
- Energy systems for carbon capture, hydrogen production and storage
- Resource recovery, minerals exploration and extraction including the development of less energy-intensive extraction and processing techniques
- Next-generation batteries and energy storage systems
- Quantum communications and sensing
- Superconductors and semiconductors
- Novel vaccines and cancer treatments
- Engineering of proteins and biomolecules for biotechnology and agriculture
- Smart brewing and food technology
Higher degree by research opportunities
Be involved in engineering discovery, invention, and cutting-edge research through a higher degree by research. Join our Master of Philosophy or Doctor of Philosophy programs.
Connect with our world-leading researchers.