Bioprocess engineering plays a critical role in improving global health, and food and beverage supply through innovation. Our researchers work to translate discoveries of life sciences into useful industrial products by using biological systems, such as enzymes, bacteria, cells, and other biochemical materials.
Our Bioprocess Engineering research is conducted in state-of-the-art laboratories located at the Engineering North Building and the Helen Mayo North Building.
Our capability spans the following areas:
- Food and beverage process engineering
- Plasma-based bioprocess engineering
- Flow chemistry based pharmaceutical processing
- Bioprocess development
- Formulation, delivery,and controlled release of therapeutics and vaccines
- Nanomedicines for cancer treatment
- mRNA nanomedicines
- T cell immunotherapy
- Lipid nanoparticle formulation
- Functional peptide and proteins for self-assembled biomaterials
- Synthetic biology for mineral processing
- Fighting cancer with space biology
- Continuous biomanufacturing
Our bioprocess engineering research is of direct benefit and relevance to the pharmaceutical and health industries. Our research impacts the following areas:
- Our researchers publish extensively on the subject of liquid formulation of therapeutic proteins.
- Bio-inspired nanotechnology and microfluidics (ARC and NHMRC funding)
- Advanced nano/micro materials for drug delivery and controlled release(ARC funding)
- Cancer nanomedicine(NHMRC funding)
- Novel biomolecules for mineral processing (ARC Centre of Excellence)
- Characterisation and evaluation of mussel adhesive protein (MAP) in vitro cell/tissue culture, funded by industry.
- Bio-system study for mammalian cell transient transfection, funded by DAAD-Gro8 Research Fund.
- Catalyst Cascade Reactions in ‘One-Flow’ within a Compartmentalized, Green-Solvent ‘Digital Synthesis Machinery’ –End-to-End Green Process Design for Pharmaceuticals.
- From Moon Materials to High-Performance Products: Ultrapurification of Resources and their Manufacturing as Medicinal Formulations, Universtiy of Adelaide PhD project.
We advise on, contribute to and lead projects relating to:
- bioprocess development, from mammalian cell culture or microbial fermentation,recovery,purification and formulation
- bioprocess and pharmaceutical process modelling and simulation
- food and beverage fermentation and processing
- nanoparticle formulation
- drug delivery
- controlled release
We have expertise across a wide range of areas. Our researchers are available to assist with research project supervision for Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy students.
Fields of Research codes
Our Bioprocess Engineeringresearch strength covers the following Fields of Research (FoR) Codes: Biocatalysisand enzyme technology(310601), Bioprocessing, bioproduction and bioproducts(310602), Fermentation(310603), Industrial molecular engineering of nucleic acids and proteins(310606), Nanobiotechnology(310607), Biomaterials (400302).