As biomedical engineers, we combine problem-solving skills and technical know-how, to generate technologies for people to stay healthy, and to diagnose and treat diseases.
We are world-renowned for our expertise in areas such as bio-sensing and cardiovascular analysis.
Our Biomedical Engineering discipline is a highly cross-disciplinary branch of engineering and touches on areas such as data science, machine learning, advanced computational design, and wearable technologies.
We are a key player in Adelaide’s BioMed City, which is one of the largest health precincts in the southern hemisphere and our knowledge spans topics including:
- Biomechanics and fluid dynamics
- Biomedical sensing and instrumentation
- Biomechanics such as the design and development of sports and health equipment
- Medical imaging and signal processing
- Medical devices, implantable biomedical integrated circuits, and neural engineering
- Integrated circuits and photonics for active health monitoring, diagnostic, and therapeutic purposes
We regularly collaborate across disciplines to achieve our research goals.
Extensive undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
The Biomedical Engineering major in our undergraduate degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Mechanical Engineering provide students with access to world-leading experts. This includes connections with prestigious research institutes including SAHMRI, Robinson Institute and the Centre for Orthopaedic and Trauma Research.
Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) opportunities
Be involved in engineering discovery, invention, and cutting-edge research through a higher degree by research. Join our Master of Philosophy or Doctor of Philosophy programs.
Associate Professor Mathias Baumert
Tel: +61 8313 1616
Tel: +61 8313 8187