Distributed and Intelligent Technologies
With specialist capability in Distributed and Intelligent Technologies, we build large and complex distributed computer systems that serve a wide range of functions in society.
Our researchers are particularly focused on:
- system execution modelling and model-driven engineering
- innovative Internet of Things system development
- task scheduling and resource allocation
- privacy-preserving computing and data mining
- network analysis, routing and optimisation
- social network analysis
Our advanced research has broad application across numerous industries, including:
- high-performance computing
- cloud computing service providers
Our Distributed and Intelligent Technologies’ research assists with the creation of robust software systems and networks, as well as large-scale data analysis, to address pending societal problems.
Our work has been applied extensively in the real world. Communities have benefitted from our open-source MEDEA system-execution modelling environment, produced with the Defence Science and Technology (DST) Group.
This modelling environment has assisted, for example:
- early-stage performance-model development for large-scale distributed software systems, such as those used within combat management systems
- performance optimisation in drones used to monitor animal population growth
Research team Expertise Professor Katrina Falkner Learning analytics and learning technologies; Distributed and intelligent technologies Associate Professor Nick Falkner Learning analytics and learning technologies; Distributed and intelligent technologies Associate Professor Claudia Szabo Learning analytics and learning technologies; Distributed and intelligent technologies Dr Cruz Izu Learning analytics and learning technologies; Distributed and intelligent technologies Associate Professor Damith Ranasinghe Distributed and intelligent technologies; AI security; IoTs Associate Professor Yuval Yarom Computer security
We have longstanding collaborations across a number of sectors, including the DST Group in defence, and numerous health industry partners. We also receive significant funding from the Australian Research Council and other competitive funding bodies.
Higher degree by research opportunities
Whether you intend to work in research or industry, a higher degree by research can give you a competitive edge throughout your career.
Find out more about studying a Master of Philosophy Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).