Our world-first discoveries capture international attention in the world’s best research journals. These breakthroughs, which have the potential to change lives, attract extensive external funding and create new opportunities for international collaboration.
Our research includes theoretical understandings of the universe, medical technology, cancer treatments and pharmaceutical development, renewable energy research, management of the Earth’s resources, and investigating how the universe was formed and life evolved.
Solving societal challenges
We are harnessing our expertise in physics, chemistry, and Earth sciences to address some of the most pressing local and global challenges.
- Exploring space and developing near space technologies
- Providing the critical minerals and resources for a clean energy future
- Developing sustainable chemical and energy technology including green hydrogen production, future fuels, and valorisation of chemical waste products
- New quantum technologies
- Developing sovereign defence capabilities on areas like USPL technology and through our involvement in the ‘Defence Trailblazer’
- Investigating medicinal and biological chemistry including new treatments for diseases, new antibiotics, and bio-delivery applications for biologics and vaccines
Our scientists work across multidisciplinary themes and our research has been rated by Australian Research Council’s Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) as “Well above or above world standard” for:
- Physics: astronomical and space sciences; atomic, molecular, nuclear, particle and plasma physics; optical physics
- Chemistry: analytical chemistry; inorganic chemistry; macromolecular and materials chemistry; medicinal and biomolecular chemistry; physical chemistry
- Earth Sciences: geology; geochemistry; geophysics
State-of-the-art international research facilities
Use of state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge techniques underpin our research and teaching. This includes synthetic methods, purification, analytical and computational capabilities.
Higher degree by research opportunities
Whether intending to work in research or industry, a higher degree by research or other postgraduate study can equip students with a clear competitive edge.
Find out more about studying a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
Research centres and institutes
Our superiority in research involves significant interactions with internal and external collaborators, and research end-users. We are home to significant institute capabilities and partner with National Centres of Excellence to confront society’s most relevant and pressing scientific challenges.
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Dark Matter Particle Physics (CDMPP)
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav)
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Particle Physics at the Terascale (HEP)
- ARC Special Research Centre for the Subatomic Structure of Matter (CSSM)
- Centre for Radiation Research Education and Innovation (CRREI)
- Institute of Photonics & Advanced Sensing (IPAS)