Machine learning intern with design giant Canva
Located in Sydney, Australia
At Canva, we work every day to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for everyone on every computing platform!
Since launch in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 55 million monthly active users in over 100 languages, making us one of the world's fastest growing technology companies. We're growing rapidly and building a product that users really love.
The Data Science specialty delivers value to Canva’s users by designing, building and maintaining complex systems to apply statistics and machine learning at scale, and multiplying manual effort with data intelligence. This includes making it easy for users to discover over 75M+ templates, photos, videos and elements; messaging, marketing and building engagement with users; and making it easier for users to design.
As a Machine Learning Engineering Intern, you will have the opportunity to learn from Data Scientists and Engineers from the likes of Google, JetBrains, Yandex, Atlassian, Amazon, Facebook, and popular technology houses from all over the world. You will get the opportunity to learn and apply best-practice data science and software engineering, focused on strong software engineering fundamentals and pragmatism.
About the role
What you'll do:
- Work alongside data specialists, software engineers, product owners - to identify business and growth opportunities
- Participate in exciting research in machine learning and data science applications across the Canva product suite
- Improve scalability, speed and performance of existing models
- Conceptual modelling: share and articulate modelling
- Statistical analysis: understand and work around possible limitations in models
- Predictive modelling: most of our big data problems are towards being able to predict future outcomes
- Hypothesis testing: develop hypotheses and test them with careful experiments.
This will be perfect for you, if you:
- Are currently in your final year of completing a Bachelor's or Master's degree, at any stage in your PhD, or have completed software engineering/web development certifications
- Have strong Computing and Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) Fundamentals
- Are comfortable working in Python
- Have the ability to conceive and translate statistical or machine learning models to practical, scalable solutions
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Have the desire to learn and grow as a technologist.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- Experience building and deploying machine learning models
- Experience with data platforms (e.g. Spark and Hadoop)
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (e.g. Scikit learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Experience with interactive notebooks for exploration of data and initial prototyping.
Unfortunately, Canva does not sponsor immigration visas for internships at this time.
How to apply
You'll need to provide the latest PDF copies of your CV and grades/transcript.
We ensure that the Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, quiet places to retreat.
We have three in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team, check out what's cooking.
If you're about to graduate and seeking a truly challenging opportunity with one of the world’s premier technology companies, then apply now to start the discussion with us!