Walk on the guide side
Pip transforms people’s lives on a daily basis, one puppy at a time.
- Role: Puppy Education Supervisor
- Organisation: Royal Society for the Blind
- University of Adelaide degree: Bachelor of Science (Animal Science)
After completing her Bachelor of Science (Animal Science) she could hardly believe it when she landed her dream job (and almost everyone else’s!) as a puppy education supervisor with the Royal Society for the Blind.
Now she oversees the training of pups destined to become guide and assistance dogs in our communities.
Pip supports each puppy’s every furry step; from their birth, which she is present at, to their graduation. She also led the development of a program called Operation K9, which provides assistance dogs to Veterans of the Australian Defence Forces who suffer from PTSD.
Join us for her conversation with presenter Sarah Davidson as she explains the superpowers of a dog’s nose, why she chose to work with animals instead of being an engineer, and the challenges of training people, as well as dogs!
“The dogs mean so much to clients, and it could just be them telling you that they went to the shops for the first time by themselves which they never could have done before."Pip Edwards - Graduate of the BSc (Animal Science)
Also available for listening on:
Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | OmnyStudio
- Learn more about the Bachelor of Science (Animal Science) at the University of Adelaide.
- Read Pip Edwards' interview with Lumen, the University's alumni magazine.
- Become a Puppy Educator and provide a positive environment and training for RSB Guide and Assistance Dog pups.
- Find out about Operation K9, the program for Veterans of the Australian Defence Forces who suffer from PTSD.
- Learn more about what the Royal Society for the Blind do.
Want to work with animals?
Find out more about how you could start a career caring for animals, or maybe training our furry companions to care for us.
- Animal behaviour
- Animal science
- Veterinary bioscience
- Veterinary technology
- Wildlife conservation
- Honours projects
- Veterinary program (how to apply)
You might also like
Podcast: Koalafications for becoming a zookeeper
Animal science graduate Michelle Birkett talks about her dream job as a zookeeper at Adelaide Zoo.