Call of the wild
Jacob Maher thinks you’re a scientist. In fact, he thinks we all are.
- Role: Research Assistant - Invasion Science & Wildlife Ecology Group
- LinkedIn: Jacob Maher
- University of Adelaide degree: Bachelor of Science (Advanced), major in ecology
He was sure his future was in zoology, but through his Bachelor of Science, he was introduced to ecology and was totally hooked by the wholistic viewpoint it offered. He was fascinated by the way it explains the interactions and connectedness of complex systems.
Now Jacob works in environmental sustainability where he has worked on studies that investigate how developmental impacts may affect human communities, as well as on native seed revegetation projects.
Join us for his conversation with Sarah Davidson as he talks about sustainability in our urban environment, the different ways technology is changing the field of ecology and charismatic animals!
"When people say they don’t like science, it’s like saying they don’t like art. It’s just so versatile and I just think we are all scientists in a way.”Jacob Maher - Sustainability Officer
Also available for listening on:
Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | OmnyStudio
- Have nature’s back… meet more environmental science graduates and learn about even more career opportunities in this field.
- Visit the Environment Institute, the University of Adelaide’s home to a diverse range of research, dedicated to making environmental change.
- Get involved with the Biology Society of South Australia or listen to its very own podcast.
Want to work in environmental science?
Find out more about how you could start a career caring for animals, or maybe training our furry companions to care for us.
You might also like
Exploring the depths of marine biology
PhD student Sophie Dolling had a passion for the ocean, and made it a career! Find out more about our Bachelor of Science (Marine Biology) and where it can take you.